"I'm talking about not covering every square inch with houses and strip malls until you can't remember what happens in a meadow at dusk."
"What happens in a meadow at dusk??"
"Nothing."
"Everything."
"Nothing."
"Everything! It's beautiful."

Friday, July 6, 2007

Preparing for Service

I'm leaving for South Africa in 10 days!!

I created this blog to keep friends and family up to date on my life while I'm abroad -- but my blog contents are also available to the public, for the benefit of anyone interested in learning more about South Africa or the Peace Corps. I hope none of my readers will hesitate to share their feedback with me through the comments field -- though I do not imagine I'll be able to respond very frequently, as I will have VERY limited access to internet...

Speaking of which -- PLEASE SEND ME SNAIL MAIL! Postage is just 90 cents for regular-size letters, which take 2 to 4 weeks to arrive... just imagine the smile you can put on my face for only 90 cents! Below is my address during trianing, 7/21/07-9/13/07 (also listed in the right margin of this page). I will post my more permanent mailing address as soon as I find out where I am stationed.

(My Full Name), PCT
Peace Corps
PO Box 9536
Pretoria 0001
South Africa


For those with time and curiosity, check out the Links section in the right margin of this webpage! It has TONS of information about South Africa and Peace Corps' work in South Africa.

Also, for those interested, here is my Peace Corps Timeline:

2/20/07 = Applied online to Peace Corps
3/1/07 = Interview with Recruiter (requested to leave after 8/11/2007)
3/6/07 = Nomination to leave in JULY (!) for Health Extension in Non-Francophone Africa
4/4/07 = Medical Paperwork submitted via overnight Fed Ex
4/6/07 = Dental Clearance
5/16/07 = Medical Clearance (after minor issues with labwork)
5/22/07 = Invitation to serve in South Africa as a Primary Teacher Trainer and Community Resource Volunteer
[**SIDE NOTE: Peace Corps says the application process typically takes 6-9 months. Accordingly, I asked to leave in August or September... but for some crazy reason they processed my paperwork and invited me in just 3 months!! Now I'm pinching myself for how quickly everything is happening, but loving the process all the same.]

7/17/07 = Fly to Philadelphia, Pennsylvania for two-day Pre-Service Training
7/19/07 - 7/20/07 = Travel to South Africa with 90 other Peace Corps Trainees
7/21/07-9/13/07 = Training near Zeerust, Northwest Province, South Africa
9/13/07-9/13/09 = Serve as a Peace Corps Volunteer somewhere in either Limpopo, Mpumelenga, or Northwest Province (see map in links section)


Thanks for reading!

More to Come Soon,
cole.