Howdy from Philly!
Arrived for staging yesterday, leaving for South Africa tomorrow. This is likely my last chance to use the internet for two months or so, while I'm in training. I'll try to send letters to my mom to post for you all... though I suspect they'll arrive in the US not long before I get to seek out an internet cafe!
Just wanted to let you all know I made it safely, I'm a bit sleep deprived but am having a GREAT time and meeting some wonderful folks here (94 other volunteers headed to South Africa with me!). I've had my last Mexican food and Margarita for the next couple years -- enjoyed some of my first ever east-coast people watching... and had all sorts of other fun times that I don't have time to write about (it's 1:30 am and I leave at 6:30 am to get my immunizations before heading to the airport).
I hope you are all doing well and look forward to receiving your letters. Feel free to contact my mother if you have any further questions... her email is: (ourlastname)s@sunflower.com
Take good care - off I go!
"I'm talking about not covering every square inch with houses and strip malls until you can't remember what happens in a meadow at dusk."
"What happens in a meadow at dusk??"
"Nothing."
"Everything."
"Nothing."
"Everything! It's beautiful."
"Everything! It's beautiful."